News:

Welcome to the new forum of Pro ATC

Main Menu

Feedback & Suggestions on Extra Voice Sets by MaVe

Started by polymerman, 26 November, 2016, 21:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dowson

Quote from: Silkyman on 28 November, 2016, 02:17:30 AM
would you mind telling us, or more to the point tell me which voices you have disabled just so i can have a benchmark to work up to.

Here's a rating for legibility on my headset and/or overhead speakers. I do observe that MOST of the distortion seems to be due to something like the speakers being too close to the mike they were using, rather than actually deliberately added noise.

Rating 1-9, where 1 is totally unintelligible all the time, 9 = well nigh perfect, an example to all:

2 CaptMadDog, ME-NAIF, MadDog
4 AU-John, ES-Miguel
5 UK-Paul, MBA1, UK-Danny, US-Bob, US-Shane, NewController003, V3, MBA2
6 CH-Peter, Claudia Germany, TH1
7 UK-Danny Radiofix, UK-Mike, US-Drew, Chip Barber,
8 NewPilot001, US-Richard, NewController001, NewController002
9 PilotAlpha117, Controller Alpha117

I don't disable pilots I don't understand, because they might legitimately sound bad depending on distance, weather, etc. But I disable controllers below 6. That leaves me about 10 at present.

I *think* I've got the ratings above about right, though I did it in a bit of a hurry. Very busy today.
Regards
Peter Dowson
--------------------
Biddulph, England

MaVe64

@Pete Am I reading this right? UK-Danny2 (extra FX) a 7, better than UK-Danny a 5?
Danny2 has distortion and background noise, but it is easy to understand.

As I said earlier, all controllers should be very clear, I think most of us agree on that. That will be fixed.  :)

What makes this a bit tough is that for instance pilot US-Drew sounds different than controller US-Drew. Which one do you mean?
So let this discussion only be about the pilot voices, those are the ones we have to decide on.
Marcel Verheydt

MaVe Creations - Free AI sounds - Giving your airports more atmosphere!
www.mavecreations.weebly.com

Pete Dowson

Quote from: MaVe64 on 28 November, 2016, 19:47:26 PM
@Pete Am I reading this right? UK-Danny2 (extra FX) a 7, better than UK-Danny a 5?
Danny2 has distortion and background noise, but it is easy to understand.

I'll recheck, but I remember it surprised me too. It was easier to understand. Maybe whatever was added hid the "too close to microphone" distortion or clipping I hear in the other.

QuoteWhat makes this a bit tough is that for instance pilot US-Drew sounds different than controller US-Drew. Which one do you mean?

Ah, to save time I checked all the pilots then only checked the controllers with different names.  I did list to quite a few samples of each before rating them.

Really I should have only checked the controllers, as it is only those which matter to me, as long as I have one clear pilot voice, preferably UK, to use as me.

QuoteSo let this discussion only be about the pilot voices, those are the ones we have to decide on.

Okay. On the assumption that the controller recordings will be nice and clear, I'm not really so bothered about the pilot voices for AI, as I said. I'd rather they were clear than not but I'd accept them either way.

Regards
Peter Dowson
--------------------
Biddulph, England

MadDog

2 ?  Really ?!?!?   :o  I guess I'm not surprised... Pete and I have never agreed on this "subjective" subject.  Even back in the RC4 days, he hated the "meatwater" mods while I felt they made the voices much more realistic.
Marc Schrier (MD)

vadriver

Quote from: vadriver on 27 November, 2016, 23:44:37 PM
many i suspect would prefer clarity as well as a familiar accent (& no background)

Quote from: Pete Dowson on 28 November, 2016, 21:11:30 PM
as long as I have one clear pilot voice, preferably UK, to use as me.
cheers
john martin

vadriver

Quote from: MadDog on 28 November, 2016, 23:01:57 PM
the "meatwater" mods ..... I felt they made the voices much more realistic.

agree .... you score much higher for me !

if only marcel's contributors could mix it up a bit, less consistency with phrasing. I tried to a tad.
cheers
john martin

Pete Dowson

Quote from: MadDog on 28 November, 2016, 23:01:57 PM
2 ?  Really ?!?!?   :o  I guess I'm not surprised... Pete and I have never agreed on this "subjective" subject.  Even back in the RC4 days, he hated the "meatwater" mods while I felt they made the voices much more realistic.

Yes, sorry about that. But, yes, I could never understand how anyone could put up with such horrible distortion as Meatwater added! ;-)

Pete
Regards
Peter Dowson
--------------------
Biddulph, England

greycap

From my point of view, I want to have enough voices to be able to disable the older sets (i.e. not MaVe's) which have a more limited vocabulary, particularly in respect of callsigns.  Ironically, a number of Pete's 8's and 9's would be the ones I want to drop for that reason!

If a majority view on how new voicesets are compiled can be arrived at, then by all means apply that to all new ones,  but I'd be disappointed if the whole process was slowed down to rework the ones that have already been published.  Surely we (or rather Mave if he's willing) can go back to that later...

Silkyman

Thanks for your input guys, keep it coming.

I think that if Marcel, and of course you guys want me to work on some more voices i need to spend a bit longer cleaning up and removing background poping, and as in my voice set remove the budgie singing in the background so first and foremost the words are clear and defined.

Pete....any chance of a voice set from you? I promise to be gentle with the FX.  ;)
Daniel Smith
EGPF

Pete Dowson

Quote from: Silkyman on 29 November, 2016, 15:56:06 PM
Pete....any chance of a voice set from you? I promise to be gentle with the FX.  ;)

Well, when I can find a bit of time I'll have a look at doing it. Pretty busy at present. Christmas approaching makes it worse as there's also family stuff t attend to.

And I hate the sound of my own voice, so it would probably be one I'd inhibit. Though I suppose I should choose it as me !

Pete
Regards
Peter Dowson
--------------------
Biddulph, England

vadriver

Quote from: Pete Dowson on 29 November, 2016, 16:47:28 PM
Though I suppose I should choose it as me !

I don't use my voice at all ... not pilot (PF or AI)/ co-pilot (PNF) / controller.

http://www.pointsoftware.de/proatcxforum/forum/index.php/topic,1554.msg7541.html#msg7541 details the way most I believe use PATC.
cheers
john martin

MaVe64

I agree, 'Pilot' should be changed to 'PF' and only contain readbacks the user can make themselves with the recorder tool or a new recorder tool I can make. I am willing to write a manual if needed.
The 'Copilot' should be named 'FO' or 'PNF' and contain the vocabulary of what now is 'Pilot', plus the checklist items that now are in 'Copilot'. But PATC will have to be modified a bit before this can work.
Marcel Verheydt

MaVe Creations - Free AI sounds - Giving your airports more atmosphere!
www.mavecreations.weebly.com

ke7zum

I agree. No statuc. I'm also loosing my hearing, so I'd rather have clear  rather than distorted and hard ot understand. I want to do a voice set for you guys, but don't have the time right now.
Sarah alawami